I’m not the biggest fan of eggplant parmesan, or chicken parmesan either, because it’s so heavy and usually very salty, at least in restaurants. Plus it’s so much work to have to bread and fry everything. So this technically isn’t eggplant parmesan, but I like eggplant and I like pasta and I thought they tasted pretty good together. Hope you enjoy it!
10-12 small Indian eggplant
1 green bell pepper
2 smallish yellow onions
2-3 Tbl olive oil
~ 1 lb spaghetti or other pasta
~ 2 cups tomato sauce
grated parmesan cheese
2-3 sprigs basil
1. Cut the eggplants in half and then slice into thick half moon slices. Place in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let drain for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Roughly chop green pepper and onions and place in a 9×13 glass baking dish. When 10 minutes is up, rinse the eggplant slices under cold water to remove the bitter juices and excess salt. Place in the baking dish with the peppers and onions. Sprinkle with black pepper, salt and the olive oil, mix with your hands to evenly coat and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to package directions, grate parmesan and wash basil.
4. When the 20 minutes is up, take the dish out of the oven, layer the pasta on top of the roasted vegetables and pour the sauce on top of the pasta. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and put back in the oven for 20 minutes.
5. When thoroughly heated through and cheese is melted, remove from the oven and sprinkle with basil while it cools for a few minutes.
Serve with extra grated parmesan and enjoy!