Steel cut oatmeal is so yummy. Much better than using rolled oats. It is even good reheated the next day. Here’s one way to make it so you have a big batch that you can reheat in small amounts for several days. I also recently heard of a way of soaking the grains overnight and then quickly cooking in the morning. I’ll try that some other time, but this way works really well.
Pictures above with steps below according to the pictures.
1) Boil 5 cups water
2) Melt 1 Tbl butter
3) Add 1 cup steel cut oat groats and toast for 1-2 min until golden (4) and has a butterscotch aroma. Add the boiling water carefully, it will splatter, simmer for 30 min.
5) Ingredients with possible toppings: steel cut oats, brown sugar, butter, salt, pear, craisins, dried cherries.
6) fry up an egg to eat while you wait if you’re hungry like I was.
7) halfway through simmering, stir occassionally.
8)done simmering, after about 30 minutes.
9) add in little bit of brown sugar and craisins. mix it up and let is sit for a bit to cool off and rehydrate craisins a bit. serve.
10) leftovers next day: add some milk in a pot, heat on low for about 5 minutes. Just as good as previous day, but a little creamier because of the milk I also tried one time reheating it with coconut milk and homemade peanut butter (recipe coming soon) and it was SOOOOOO good.